domenica 19 luglio 2009

From a temple to malls, to a garden, and to posh restaurant

Day #2: completed.

Once done with breakfast we got on the bus to go to the Tourism Exhibition in Bangalore. Pretty neat, uh? Unfortunately we came to know that the exhibition was "cancelled", or was already over, I'm not sure about that.

Ok, full of resources as we are, it didn't take us a ton of time to elaborate a B-plan. A very different one. We visited a temple (a Hindu one, I'd say) and what an experience it was.
It wasn't as crowded as I'd have expected, statues and pictures of gods pretty much anywhere. People inside were actually very welcoming as usual (I can't stress this thing enough), not intimidated or annoyed by our presence. As a matter of fact, a nice family sitting in front of one of the many temple's chambers told me that I should take a look at a statue of goddess Shiva, dominating another statue of a lying god, whose name is not clear to me, nor I can say I know it (I just can tell it had a bunch of extra arms and it was red-skinned).

After that we went to visit a small mall and - hey! - it was 3:00pm. So, hungry as we were, we got into a sort of "fast food" (you wanna forgive the very unappropriated use of that expression), a place where "spicy" seemed to be the key word. I can't tell pretty much anything about the food, since I decided to skip the lunch (GERD isn't funny), but honestly a lot of folks liked it.
One thing I'd have never, ever expected: a guy who was selling fresh drinks just behind the place people had lunch in actually recognized one of the tutors, Federica. He saw her at the flower market the day before. Now, how on earth is thins thing possible, in such a crowded place? We live in a very small world, don't we?

Time for the afternoon activity: a visit at the botanical garden.
At first I couldn't see what the "botanical" was about, since the main thing I saw was a huge stone (a very interesting one, actually) with a - let's say - Hindu thing on top.
But then, moving forward, a vast green area appeared, with huge trees, monkeys a lake with lotus flowers (at least the leaves). Exhausting.

It turned half-late afternoon. You may think we were done. And you'd be wrong. Another mall (an enormous one) was waiting for us.
This one was very different from the other one we took a look at in the early afternoon. Once in, I felt so much at home, since very popular brands were at every corner. Brands like Louis Vuitton, Ermenegildo Zegna and many many more.
Starting from that, you can easily imagine the type of people targeted. What a difference from the flower market we went to just 24 hours earlier.

Dinner time was coming. After having to wait for the bus for 20 minutes or so, we went in one of the most famous places in Bangalore (I totally forgot the name, and I do apologize). I finally had something to eat that couldn't have burned my throat and had a very, very nice evening with all the folks attending the Summer School. Included a Stefano's friend.

Again: you may want to excuse the lack of pictures and the fact I don't remember important things/names/places, but - man! - it's 2:38am. Gotta jump to bed.
Classes are starting tomorrow and I still need to practice with Windsor tie knot (just kidding, no way I'm gonna try such a complicated knot so late. Hope a regular half-Windsor one may meet the needs of the context).
Gotta love formal Monday!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento